Monday, February 21, 2011

Is coolness blinding my observation? I don’t think so.




He-Who-Observes has been back on UK soil for some time now, and back full swing on some shoulder rubbing schmoozy schmoozy socializing. To be perfectly honest with you, it’s all been rather fabulous. However, in the midst of such air-kissing-hand-shaking-madness, I’ve detected a bit of a chill.

Call me stupid (maybe it’s a brain freeze), but god, some people really play it ‘cool’ don’t they? So cool it’s almost icy.

Take situation A. He-Who-Observes locks vision with a fellow socialite. Conversation oozes and business cards are swapped. It’s all very business fash-pack glam. A flirtatious email is flicked over the next day, but with the undercut of being a jokey work email – Rule One: always cover ones back. Emails bounce back and forth in the usual ‘wait a bit, don’t email back straight away’ game that we all play. When the push hits the shove and the emails come to the crunch [aka date offer] it all goes a bit quiet. REJECTION I hear you scream at your screens. He-Who-Observes thought so too. *Yawn* Lights off, time for bed (alone). Or Not…

He-Who-Observes was back on the party scene, and this time ran into friends of the above rejecter. Instantly conversation switches from the banal topics of work life and fashion pages to the ‘So, I heard you were emailing [insert name]’, ‘[insert name] really likes you and from what I hear can’t wait to go on a date with you’. He-Who-Observes has witnessed coolness beyond belief. And no, before you ask, this information was certified truth.

This one played it too cool, they froze themselves out. A one off you might justify? No my friends, certainly not. These days, is it too cool to play it like ice, or should I just meltdown and play it frozen? I don’t get it. I can play the 3 day game, but flippin’ heck, playing it this cool belongs in the Antarctic!

I’m over it. Get me some Barbados warmth and just roll with the easy life. Surely, this Baltic method of seduction will leave you looking uninterested, rather than hot for heartfelt romance? Get me out of the freezer and into the blow torch! Let’s call this the modern day crème brûlée effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment